]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MOU-RBA Home

MOU-RBA  July 2016

MOU-RBA July 2016

Re: [mou-net] Jackson County Black-necked Stilts - likely family group of 6

Brad Bolduan <[log in to unmask]>

Brad Bolduan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jul 2016 19:31:10 -0600

Sorry about the length.  This is for those - like me - who do not monitor
other forums regarding Minnesota bird observations and may have some
interest in the Jackson County Stilt's.

 I received a call today from a person I understand was one of the initial
observers of the stilts.  He indicated that there were six birds present
today; I went down there for the first time this evening.  I saw five birds
on multiple occasions including once after one of the birds appeared to fly
from the group and not return.

At least two of the birds (the two I saw first and perhaps the only two I
heard vocalize) appeared to be adults with uniform black upperparts.

At least three of the birds appeared to be juveniles; showing a brownish
upper side with very conspicuous buff colored edges to the back feathers
(apparently all dark feathers).  These birds seemed to be duller overall and
less contrasting - including bare parts.  They also seemed to generally
linger in less visible areas.  I do not believe they could be separated by
from the adults by size.

I suspect this is a family group of two adults and four juveniles.

My understanding is that they have been dependably visible since initially
located.  Today they were on private property just north of county highway
36.

For those who may be interested in seeing these birds, County 36 is just
south of Fish lake (~2 miles south of Windom).  I thought that I also saw a
sign for 36 north of Fish Lake on the road google maps shows as County 43,
but perhaps I was mistaken.  I understand they were originally located in
Christiania Waterfowl Production Area (I am not sure if it shows on any
maps) which is immediately south of County Hwy 36.  They have since been
located both on the WPA and private property north of Hwy 36.  I observed
from Hwy 36 today; GPS 43 50 0.5 deg N  95 01 54.6 W - that may help get you
in the right area.

Brad Bolduan
Windom