MOU-RBA Archives

August 2016

Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2016 23:45:19 -0600
Subject:
Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Josh Wallestad <[log in to unmask]>
This past week I've found a few Blue Grosbeaks in Renville County:

On 7-31 in northern Renville County, Pete Nichols, Ben Douglas, and I found
two males at the intersection of 270th St and 840th Ave.  This is one of
the sites I found one at in 2014.

On 8-6 in southern Renville County, I found two males at the gravel pit on
200th St about a half mile north of CR 15 (an old BLGR site from
2012).  Later that same day I found a third male along a private drive on
the south side of CR 15 where 200th St meets CR 15.  (close to an old
BLGR site from 2013)

On 8-2 at Gneiss Outcrops SNA in Chippewa County, I relocated a male Blue
Grosbeak found earlier by Bill Marengo.

Pics of the birds along with some of my thoughts on this bird's apparent
range expansion are currently up on my latest blog post:

http://www.aboywhocriedheron.com/2016/08/08/hey-minnesota-birders-go-find-a-blue-grosbeak/

Josh Wallestad
Kandiyohi County