CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1996

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:42:29 CST

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Ian Harper wrote:

>I have not personally encountered "fixation" effects in scanned cells
>after loading with Fluo-3. We use 2,5 - 10uM Fluo in cardiac
>myocytes, and we would clearly see if contractility was affected.
>However, I remember Steve Cody showing  some examples of contractile
>dysfunction in parts of a cell excessively scanned.........

Thanks Ian,

And I thought you were asleep during that talk :)  Whilst working with
David Williams et al., on calcium waves in enzymatically isolated
rat cardiac cells, with Fluo-3 and confocal. We wanted to show that the
fluorescent waves were due to calcium, and not a weird artifact (prior to
any Fluo-3, Ca++ waves in myocyte publications). So we looked at
contracting cells with a calcium INsensitive dye. The dye we choose was
BCECF/AM (a pH sensitive dye). We excited this dye with the 488nm laser
line. However the cells kept "dying" (stopped contracting) as we scanned
them with the laser. If we repeatedly scanned the same line along the
length of the cell (to collect an X-T plot) we found that the line where we
had scanned was "paralysed", while the rest of the cell was still
contracting. This artifact was breifly described in Cody et al. (1993)
Intracellular pH mapping with SNARF-1 and confocal microscopy. I: A
quatitative technique for living tissues and isolated cells. Micron: 24,
573-580.

I shall try and describe the observation so that you can picture it in your
mind. Rat cardiac myocytes are rod shaped cells, aprox. 100 micron long by
25 micron wide. If we continually irradiated the same line along the long
axis of the cell, let's say close to one side of the cell. The cell would
then contract as if a stiff but flexible rod had been inserted along one
side. Instead of simply shortening during contraction, the cell would bend
like a bananna during each contraction! It appeared that the contractile
proteins in irradiated areas had been cross-linked, and so we suspeceted
aldehyde production from the probe. So we started using SNARF-1 instead.
My gut feeling was that it was not just the dye concentration but the
intensity and duration of laser irradiation may have been a major problem.

The good news is, that we did not have this problem with Fluo-3. But it may
be possible given the right circumstances I suppose. Try using more dye and
less laser.
Stephen H. Cody,                                        __    /
Biomedical Confocal Microscopy Research Centre        _/  \__/ \
Department of Pharmacology,                          /          \
University of Western Australia,                    /            \
Nedlands WA 6009,                                   \*  ____     /
Australia.                                           \_/    \_ _/
         email:  [log in to unmask]              __
         Phone:  61 09 346 4569   Fax: 61 09 346 3469         \/