PUBPOL-L Archives

January 1997

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
PUBPOL-L Public Policy Graduate Studies Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Bonnie S. Braun" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 19:37:15 CST6CDT
Comments:
   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to PUBPOL-L --_

 I'm pleased to announce that the University of Minnesota will
produce a  satellite broadcast on welfare reform.   Below is the
information you need to access the broadcast.  I hope you'll publicize
and use as appropriate.

The approach we've taken for this briefing goes way beyond the basic
information about the federal legislation which we're counting on each
state to have by now.  We do provide a highlight of the legislation on
our www site along with other materials listed below.

What we're trying to do is to add-value to the public discussion
regarding welfare reform by transforming the focus from the details of
the legislation to the concept of well-being.Hopefully, it
supplements and compliments what your faculty is doing.
The broadcast could help state and county Cooperative Extension
staff think about the well-being framework themselves or could be used
with citizens.Faculty and students could use in classes as well.   It could be used
live or taped for future discussion.  However, due to the timliness of
action by states--early l997--the viewing and subsequent actions
should not be delayed!

Satellite Broadcast:  "From Welfare to Well-being"
   Thursday, January 23, l997 10:00-11:30 CST

University of Minnesota
College of Human Ecology
Minnesota Extension Service

Presenters:
Jean Bauer, Ph.D., Professor
Family  Social Science

Bonnie Braun, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Outreach
Associate Professor, Family Social Science

Purpose:  To consider welfare reform as an opportunity to focus on the
well-being of children, families and communities.

Content:
> Review the historical significance of federal welfare reform
    legislation and requirements for enacting state and local
    legislation.

>Explore the issues, impacts, implications and imperatives of  the
  legislation.

> Examine options for community and state responses in
   light of well-being of all people as a basis for public policy.

Targeted Audiences:

Cooperative Extension Faculty and Staff
Community Leaders
University faculty, students and staff

Suggested uses of the Broadcast:

Live_as is
Live with supplemental discussion on site
Taped_as is
Taped with supplemental discussion on site

(Session leaders are encouraged to pre-plan for  wrap-around
programming and discussion).

Note:  If this session is to serve as the basis
for citizen involvement in public policy, time will be needed
for discussion.  That discussion could occur on January 23 and/or at
additional times.  Local Extension faculty need to consult with
citizens to determine the most appropriate approach in each locality.
State legislative decisions will be made early in l997 so timeliness
of involvement is imperative.

Supporting Materials For the Broadcast:

(Prior review of the following materials
should enhance the learning experience of  participants and
especially the on-site leader).

Outline of Presentation--Will be available by January 17 on the www
for duplication and distribution at :
http://www.che.umn.edu/outreach/outline

Highlights of the Legislation-- available now on the World Wide Web at
http://www.che.umn.edu/outreach/reform

Supplemental Resource List--Current version available now.
Updated version available by January
17 on the WWW at:  http://www.che.umn.edu/outreach/references

History of Welfare Legislation/Principles for Policy Analysis
--(The BOHS Task Force paper, "Welfare Reform:  Social Justice for
Children and Families").  Available on the WWW at:
http://ianrwww.unl.edu/aahsbohs/welchild.htm

Supplemental Materials Available After the Broadcast:

Additional materials will be made available after January 23. Order
information will be announced on the World Wide Web at:
http://www.che.umn.edu/outreach/order

Questions:

Regarding access to satellite broadcast , contact Larry Coyle at
612 625-1952.

Regarding the program, contact the Office of Outreach at
612-625-1952.

Coordinates:
Satellite Broadcast  Thursday, January 23, l997
9:30 a.m. CST Test
10:00 - 11:30a.m. CST Broadcast

Satellite:                         Galaxy 9 (123degW)
Transponder:    C02 (Channel 2) 36MHx bandwidth
Uplink:                 5965 MHz (v)
Downlink:       3740 MHz (h)

Funding:  The broadcast is funded by the University of Minnesota,
College of Human Ecology and the Minnesota Extension Service with
support from the North Central Region State Leaders of Family and
Consumer Sciences.  The University is a member of A*DEC.

Bonnie Braun, Ph.D., C.H.E.
Associate Dean for Outreach
College of Human Ecology
University of Minnesota              Phone:  612 625-1201
37 McNeal Hall                       Fax: 612 625-6285
1985 Buford Ave.                     E-mail: [log in to unmask]
St. Paul, MN 55108