PUBPOL-L Archives

January 1997

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
PUBPOL-L Public Policy Graduate Studies Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Michael Macpherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:10:57 -0800
Comments:
   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to PUBPOL-L --_

Dear Christa Maar and Colleagues,

This conference looks as though it could be really good! Among the invited
speakers, from several countries, are many experts in politics,
communication, democracy theory and electronic democracy (URLS below).

Also, there is good ON-LINE pre-conference information, registration
details and electronic fora about different aspects of Internet, politics,
education and economics.

Quite a few, if not most of the speakers have provided abstracts which the
conference organisers have made available on their WWW pages. That's
potentially a great way to get a conference "off the ground".

*********************

I have a request to the organisers.

Would it be possible to translate the english abstracts into German? After
all, the conference is in FRG. I think that that would encourage more
people here to become interested. In my experience, although most everyone
has learnt English in school, there remains a language barrier.

Ich wuensche Ihnen viel Erfolg!
Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Yours sincerly,
Michael Macpherson

cc: also to CL-Demokratie-Allg (FRG e-forum).

>Dear Sirs,
>
>we herewith want to invite you cordially to participate in the first European
>conference on the topic INTERNET & POLITICS, which will be organized from
>February 19-21, 1997 from the ACADEMY OF THE THIRD MILLENNIUM in Munich,
>Germany.
>
>The Internet within the shortest time has become a worldwide driving force for
>technological, social and economic developments. How do politics react to this
>challenge in Germany and other countries? What possibilities for the renewal of
>the State, community, education and administration are provided by the New
>Media?
>
>The conference INTERNET & POLITICS intends to discuss these and similar
>questions openly, interdisciplinary and constructively with internationally
>admitted experts and to work out political perspectives. An essential part of
>the conference is an Internet-exhibition of the worldwide most interesting
>political projects.
>
>Especially from Universities we hope to receive an active participation at the
>conference, as they traditionally belong to those places, where basic
>democratic
>rights are shaped and defended. The political significance of the Net to many
>scientists may still seem to be theoretical. But the experience shows that the
>industry in the globalising competence is on its way to occupy the
>Internet even
>with contents. Sciences and Politics will now have to work together to
>throw the
>switches. Sciences are asked to help shaping the process of democratic renewal,
>which was made possible through the electronic media and is strongly been used
>by many countries.
>
>The program of the conference INTERNET & POLITICS, more information about the
>speakers, and further information about the Academy of the third millennium you
>will find on our homepage under
>                        http://www.akademie3000.de
>
>Furthermore, under this adress, you can participate in an online-discussion
>about Internet and Politics in Germany ("Munich Declaration - Theses to
>Germany").
>
>We would be very happy if you have time and interest to come to Munich and
>participate in the conference. Also we want to ask you to forward this
>information to interested colleagues and institutions, who are of course
>welcome
>to register as well.
>
>You can register online under
>
>http://www.akademie3000.de/overview/conf/politics/tip.html#anmeldung
>
>or give us your full mailing adress and we will send you a printed program and
>registration form. We can also email you the detailed program.
>
>For further information please feel free to contact us in any below mentioned
>way.
>
>With best regards
>
>Dr. Christa Maar
>President, Academy of the third millennium

> [...]
Dr. Michael Macpherson,
Integral Studies,
Derfflingerstrase 17,
10785 Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany.

tel.: +49 30 262 3768
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
World Wide Web address (URL):

INTEGRAL STUDIES: proposals, opportunities to co-operate:
http://www.snafu.de/~mjm/