ISHPSB-L Archives

April 1999

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:30:30 -0800
Date:  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:08:22 -0400
From:  <[log in to unmask]>

All:

I am interested in finding out more about the notion of 'care' as it has
been described in the evolutionary/behavioral biology literature.
Specifically, I seek historical accounts of evolutionary
reasons/developments of empathy, solicitude, love etc.  I am not
interested
in sociobiologicial accounts of kin selection or reciprocal altruism,
but
rather the more 'humanistic' types of care- as typified by feminist
theories in bioethics (ie, 'ethic of care').  Vernacular altruism
(Sober)
would be more along the lines of what I am interested in, however this
does not really capture the notion  of care in a clinical setting.
Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dominic