In the emerging information economy, inclusion  not just access to technology  is critical for individuals, firms and communities to shape positive economic futures, especially for communities-left-behind and communities-at-risk.

To explore these issues, Athena Alliance hosted a conference on “New IT  New Equity  New Economy.” The conference drew together diverse participants from a broad range of economic sectors, to discuss the barriers to full inclusion in the Information Age. Athena Alliance is a non-profit organization dedicated to public education and research on the emerging global information economy and the networked society.

I am pleased to announce that a report based on the conference, Inclusion in the Information Age  Reframing the Debate, is now available on our web site at www.athenaalliance.org. A printed version is available on request.

The report covers a number of issues. It begins with understanding: understanding the nature of the change occurring in our economy and society to as a perquisite to comprehending the nature and consequences of what we have come to call the “digital divide.” To broaden our understanding, the report addresses three basic issues. How new and different is the “New Economy?” Are the new technologies fundamentally different in their impact on society from existing information and communications technologies? Is the “digital divide” something new, or is it simply another manifestation of the existing socio-economic divides within America and around the world? The report then explores the issues of access, governance and economic development.

It concludes with eight points of consideration concerning the technological, economic and social aspects of the revolution in IT and the rise of a new economy.
Point one: Focus on the transformation, not the technology.
Point two: Review and coordinate efforts.
Point three: Work to ensure that everyone has access to the technological infrastructure.
Point four: Encourage and facilitate participation and involvement by all in the digital economy and information society.
Point five: Focus economic development on the Information Economy, not the Internet Economy.
Point six: We need a better understanding of what is going on.
Point seven: The decision making process must be open.
Point eight: Innovate and experiment.

It is our hope that the report will serve as a guide for those involved in framing public policy, and shaping public opinion, on issues of broader, fair and equitable inclusion in the Information Age. We believe that it will help identify  and break down -- barriers to full participation in the Information Age. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Ken Jarboe

Kenan Patrick Jarboe, Ph.D.
Athena Alliance
711 10th Street, SE