Paul,
I think I've mentioned this before but there is a philosophical difference
in the way the Cameca and Jeol deadtime electronics works. In the Jeol the
measured deadtime (as you just did) is just that. What you measured. It
includes a contribution from the detector gas amplification and the pulse
shaping electronics. However, it is NOT a constant. As Paul Carpenter has
demonstrated and I have confirmed, the deadtime is affected by a number of
factors including the bias voltage and the incident x-ray energy.

Because these effects can contribute to the need for a "variable" deadtime
constant, Cameca microprobes incorporate a "pulse stretcher" circuit for
extending the deadtime to a moderate but known (and constant) value that
essentially "masks" the intrinsic (but variable) deadtime of the detector
and electronics.

The native (unstretched) deadtime of the SX50/51 Cameca electronics and
detectors is slightly larger than the Jeol and is about 1 to 2 microsecs,
but on my new SX100 the software would not let me set the "pulse stretcher"
electronics to a zero deadtime and so I could not directly measure the
intrinsic deadtime. However, I did measure it when the "pulse stretcher"
was set to 1 microsec and it gave 1.03, 1.38, 1.44, 0.91, and 1.13
microsecs using Ca Ka.

So on my new instrument the intrinsic deadtime is probably around 1
microsec but I then reset the "pulse stretcher" to 3 microseconds and then
measured the ACTUAL pulse widths which are then used for the software
correction. The beauty of this method is that although the underlying
intrinsic deadtime may change due to changes in bias voltage and x-ray
energy, the measured pulse width (and hence actual deadtime) never varies.
john

At 10:26 AM 10/21/2005, you wrote:
>*
>Alfred,
>
>     I have measured the deadtimes on my 8600 a few times (when I think I
> detect a slight change).  Here's what I now have on my system but I have
> not changed these in at least a year or so.
>
>Spec 1 - 1.17 u-seconds
>Spec 2 - 1.47 u-seconds
>Spec 1 - 1.35 u-seconds
>Spec 1 - 1.55 u-seconds
>Spec 1 - 1.27 u-seconds
>

>     How accurate are they?  Hey, I have them out to the 2nd decimal point
> for a reason!  BTW - Cameca locks in their deadtimes to 3 u-seconds and
> that really restricts the count rate they can use without problems.  If
> ya need a description of my simplistic technique for determining these
> numbers, let me know.
>
>Paul
>
>Paul F. Hlava
>Electron Microprobe Laboratories
>Department 01822 - Materials Characterization
>505-844-1890
>
>mail to
>Sandia National Laboratories
>MS - 0886
>Albuquerque, NM 87185-0886
>

>----------

John J. Donovan                                   [log in to unmask]
University of Oregon                             (541) 346-4632 (office)
1260 Franklin Blvd                              (541) 346-4655 (probe)
Eugene, OR                                        (541) 346-4692 (FAX)
97403-1272

Lab Web:                http://epmalab.uoregon.edu/
EPMA Schedule:  http://sweetwater.uoregon.edu/epma
SEM Schedule:   http://sweetwater.uoregon.edu/sem
Remote Access:  http://epmalab.uoregon.edu/howto.htm
Personal:               http://www.uoregon.edu/~donovan/

"Aristotle presented with a moon rock would have no difficulty in
discerning it as an object not fundamentally different from terrestrial
materials. So much for Thomas Kuhn."