JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Ellery Frahm, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

* JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Ellery Frahm, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

Will,

We use a Gatan Model 682 Precision Etcher Coater System (PECS) for critical carbon coating for WDS applications. It puts down a very uniform film and provides excellent conductivity at thinner film thicknesses than our evaporator or sputter coaters. It also is superior to our other coaters for penetrating into porous/uneven surfaces. It is pricey but you can look into other models that don’t have the etching capability in order to reduce the cost. The one drawback is the limited sample size, i.e. about 1” diameter and about ” thick. For larger samples (up to 2 x 2”) we use a Ladd Research Industries evaporator which uses carbon arc rods. It puts down a good coating for WDS work. If you want to discuss any more details feel free to give me a call.

Sincerely,

Wayne D. Niemeyer
Senior Research Scientist

McCrone Associates, Inc.