JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Ellery Frahm, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

* Hello Ellery,

We have the LaB6 option. Yes, it needs an ion pump at the top of the column. The required electronics are already buiilt into the 8200; I don't know about the 8900. Our 8200 came with the LaB6 option and diffusion pumps, so I assume that is the default configuration. We replaced the DPs by a turbo in the field; it's what JEOL does when you order turbo.

We have tested both LaB6 and W, and "amazing" isn't the word I would use. The main improvement comes at low voltages, which would be a bonus for us, since we are often analyzing boron, but see below...

I would say at 15 or 20kV the difference is only noticeable if you really push the resolution way beyond what a microprobe needs. You get a few 100nm with W as it is, which lets you see a heck of a lot more than you can analyze. At 10kV and >30nA there is a distinct advantage to LaB6.