Why do you need to look directly at the arc at all? You can tell that
it's all happening by the illumination of the bell-jar interior!

On my venerable Edwards 306, I rigged a little 'umbrella' sitting atop
the rod-holder, so that the operator (me) can see the specimens being
coated, including the polished brass thickness monitor, but cannot see
the arc itself.

This has the great advantage that the operator's view of the brass
monitor is not diminished by having to peer through an obscuring
filter, so the operator (okay, then, I) can easily see the transition
from red to purple on the brass.

cheers

rtch

This mail sent through University of Auckland http://www.auckland.ac.nz