JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Ellery Frahm, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

For carbon arc welding the proper shade is 14.  It is a little challenging to find, but you can find the plates and replace the plates that come with the goggles with the 14.  The safety note is that I’ve only found shade 14 in glass plates, so there is a potential for breakage.  Shade 14 works very well when the arc is on, but you can’t see anything when it isn’t, but you’ll preserve your eyesight.

Craig S. Schwandt, Ph. D.

Senior Research Scientist

McCrone Associates, Inc.

850 Pasquinelli Drive

Westmont, IL  60559-5539

Company Phone: 630-887-7100

Direct Phone: 630-734-2422

FAX: 630-887-7417

www.mccroneassociates.com

This message and any attachments, in part or whole, may contain confidential and legally privileged information and are intended soley for viewing and use by the above addressee. If you have received this transmission in error and/or are not the intended recipient, we request that you immediately notify the sender and remove all electronic records of this transmission from your computer and network system. McCrone Associates, Inc. cannot verify the electronic integrity of this transmission. Disclosure, copying, use, and/or any physical or electronic dissemination of the information included herein by anyone other than the intended recipient or authorized person(s) is strictly prohibited.