Hi AMSA and MSFC,

Thanks to everyone who came out to our lunch lecture today. We were really lucky to have Lois Uttley speak while she was in town and I know she enjoyed talking to us.

For those of you who did not attend the lecture, Ms Uttley spoke about a proposal from the department of health and human services that would protect health care providers who object to providing care based on moral beliefs, with no provision for protecting access to care for patients.

The full text of the proposal can be found at: http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2008pres/08/20080821a.html

Mike Leavitt, the secretary of the HHS Department has a blog. You can read it here: http://secretarysblog.hhs.gov/my_weblog/2008/08/physician-consc.html

The proposal is open for public commentary until 9/25, this Thursday. If you want to comment, you can do so at this website: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=0900006480711c23

I'm also including the bullet points from Ms. Uttley's final two slides as food for thought as you form comments.

Principles of a Progressive Response:

1. The welfare of the patient must be at the center of medical decision-making and treatment.
2. The religious/moral beliefs of a caregiver or religious doctrine of a health care institution cannot be allowed to obstruct a patient's access to care.
3. Patients must be able to make treatment decisions based on accurate medical information and their own ethical or religious beliefs.

Protecting Patients' Rights: Five Key Principles
1. A patient's right to informed consent must be paramount. No information may be withheld.
2. Health care institutions must provide emergency care immediately, without exception.
3. For non-emergency care, referrals must be made if treatment is refused.
4. The ability of non-objecting health practitioners to serve their patients must be safeguarded. No physician "gag rules" should be allowed.
5. Institutional treatment restrictions must be disclosed to patients in advance.

Thanks again for the warm reception you gave Ms Uttley. Tomorrow's Primary Care week lecture is about global health pediatrics. See you there!

Hannah

Hannah Shacter