Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: April 30, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, April 30,
2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We thought spring had arrived in the northwest, but last week we had a
reminder that snow is still possible. All that is gone now, and we have
reverted to rain, but temperatures are still cool, and roads are getting
soft and muddy. The first wave of migration appears to have peaked, and
now we await the colorful visitors of May.

Susan Olin at Zippel Bay State Park on Lake of the Woods reported COMMON
LOONS in Zippel Bay, and AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS on Wabanica Bay on
April 27. Gretchen Mehmel at Norris Camp in the Beltrami Island State
Forest saw a SPRUCE GROUSE a half mile east of Norris Camp. PILEATED
WOODPECKERS, and the first YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS have arrived there.

Beth Siverhus in Roseau County observed a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in
Roseau on April 23, a SAVANNAH SPARROW on April 27, and surprisingly two
PINE GROSBEAKS on April 28.

In Itasca County near Dixon Lake she saw some GREATER YELLOWLEGS on the
weekend.

Cliff Steinhauer saw a SHORT-EARED OWL along Marshall CR 12 on April 28,
and a TREE SWALLOW was seen on April 29. Gary Tischer sent a report from
Agassiz NWR. A BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON , EARED GREBE, and PEREGRINE
FALCON were seen on April 24; AMERICAN BITTERN, COOPER'S HAWK, and
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER on April 25, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW on the
27th. On April 28, sightings included RUDDY DUCK, SHARP-TAILE GROUSE
along CR 7, RUFFED GROUSE drumming, and WESTERN GREBE. While I was there
on April 26, I found a COMMON LOON, and two HORNED GREBES on
Headquarters Pool. A few shorebirds were also seen, including KILLDEER
and both yellowlegs.

Shelley Steva reported the first PURPLE MARTIN in Thief River Falls,
Pennington County on April 24. On April 29, she saw a flock of about 250
LAPLAND LONGSPURS along CR 3 two miles east of US 59.

Beau Shroyer was birding in Becker County on April 26 where his group
found about 300 LAPLAND LONGSPURS near Audubon. Other species seen
included GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKEN, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, MARBLED GODWIT,
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and RED- BELLIED WOODPECKER. Dave and Betty
Hochhalter sent in a list which included COMMON LOON, AMERICAN WHITE
PELICAN, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, and NORTHERN CARDINAL, all near Detroit
Lakes.

In Otter Tail County, Brad and Dee Ehlers saw WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS in
Fergus Falls on April 25. Alma Ronningen saw AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN,
FORSTER'S TERN and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER on April 29. She reports that
the OSPREY pair has returned to nest on a pole in their yard.

Thanks to Alma Ronningen, Beau Shroyer, Beth Siverhus, Betty and Dave
Hochhalter, Brad and Dee Ehlers, Cliff Steinhauer, Colleen Nelson, Gary
Tischer, Gretchen Mehmel, Shelley Steva, and Susan Olin for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, May 7,
2009.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN