A ponding area beneath the water tower in Little Canada provided an unexpectedly great day of Warbler viewing last year so I've been monitoring this park daily of late.  Began to see waves of warblers high in the tree tops on Wed. evening, 5/13, so I made a point of birding there at 6:45 AM the next morning (Thursday, 5/14).  There were warblers everywhere.  I saw 16 species of warbler, 59 species of birds for the day.  As I delighted in having a Blackburian Warbler singing for me at an easy viewing range of about six feet off the ground, I kept wishing that I had others there to enjoy it with me.  I finally left him in order to search for other species but it seemed almost irreverent to be turning my back on such a beautiful sight. None of my birding friends could break free for the day and when I stopped home and tried to figure out how to post this event on the UMN site, I couldn't find the proper address info.  However, by the time I returned to the park at 11:00 AM, things were really quieting down and a posting would have been too late anyway.  I could still find some warblers but most weren't singing.

This morning, 5/15, wasn't anything like yesterday but did produce several good birds.  Spotted two Blackburians chasing each other.  Similarly, two Scarlet Tanager males were chasing at the tops of the cottonwoods (poplars?) next to the parking lot located off of Edgerton St, just south of Labore Rd. I wouldn't make a trip to this site to see warblers because they seem to be winding down but the Scarlet Tanagers have been there for a couple of days and might stick around.

Cheri Steinmueller

Little Canada, MN