On three return trips to the WPA south of Starbuck, I was unable to relocate the Summer Tanager.  This does not mean it has left the area, the wind is howling like crazy out here.

One "consolation prize", however.  On Tuesday evening's attempt to locate the tanager, there must have been 500 or more Purple Martins circling overhead and sharing the skies with hundreds of swallows - mostly American Tree.  It was quite an experience to see that many birds.  There was a massive hatch of what we call "Mayflies" yesterday.  These half inch long insects were everywhere so, if you were an insect eater yesterday, life was good!

Sid Stivland
Plymouth (and Pope County)