Postdocs, website, PhD program, faculty position
Listserv for the International Society
for the History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology

(see the end of this message for directions on how to subscribe and unsubscribe from this listserv)

This listserv sends out brief descriptions only.  For further details, follow the link listed.
Please send me items to post to the list that would be of interest to Society members:  position announcements, postdoctoral announcements, grant and funding opportunities, conference announcements, calls for papers, and brief queries on research topics.  The sooner you send me something, the more likely that I will be able to have it posted before its deadline.

Thanks!

Roberta L. Millstein
Listserv Moderator, International Society for
History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology

1. The School of Interactive Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology with the Cognition and Learning in Interdisciplinary Cultures research group is seeking a postdoctoral researcher on a project funded by the US National Science Foundation (pending final approval): "Becoming a 21st century scientist: cognitive practices, identity formation, and learning in integrative systems biology (ISB)."  No deadline given [although this was sent to me quite awhile ago and so it may be filled already -- my apologies.  RLM].  http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-1.html

2. The Medical Humanities and Bioethics Program at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine invites applications for a post-doctorate fellowship for the 2009-2010 academic year.  They began evaluating applications at the end of July and will continue to accept applicants until the position is filled [if it hasn't been filled already -- again, my apologies.  RLM].  http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-2.html

3. Now on-line is the new Web project:  Evolution: A Journal of Nature - History and Downloads.  _Evolution: A Journal of Nature_ was published 1927-1938 by a New York-based group of pro-evolutionists following the 1925 Scopes Trial. The magazine included commentary on events, resources for teachers, and reviews/advertisements for supporting materials.  http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-3.html

4. The new applications for the PhD Program in "Foundations of the Life Sciences and Their Ethical Consequences" at the SEMM (European School of Molecular Medicine) are now open. The main aim of the PhD program is the creation of a class of highly skilled scholars, having both scientific and philosophical competences. Deadline for application: 27 September 2009http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-4.html

5. The University of Minnesota Press announces a new book, _Intangible Materialism: The Body, Scientific Knowledge, and the Power of Language_ by Ronald Schleifer.  Schleifer shows how discoveries of modern physics have altered conceptions of matter and energy and the ways in which both information theory and the study of literature can enrich these conceptions.  Expanding the reductive notion of "the material" as simply matter and energy, he formulates a new, more inclusive idea of materialism. http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-5.html

6. The MA Program in Biological Thought at The Open University of Israel invites applications for a faculty position in Philosophy and History of Biology, effective Fall 2010.  Deadline for applications: November 30th 2009http://www.ishpssb.org/listserv/20090830-6.html

**************************** End of announcements **************************

--
DIRECTIONS FOR SUBSCRIBING
 Send an email message to:

DIRECTIONS FOR UNSUBSCRIBING
 Send an email message to:
 with the following in the body of the message:
       SIGNOFF ISHPSB-L
Professor Roberta L. Millstein
Listserv Moderator, International Society for
History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology
<http://www.ishpssb.org/>

Listserv archives: <http://lists.umn.edu/archives/ishpsb-l.html>

Snail mail:
Department of Philosophy