While out running errands this afternoon (approx. 3:20 PM), driving along Diffley Road and just crossing over I 35E, I saw a large dark raptor approaching from the north as I was stopped at a traffic light. My immediate impression was that the bird was a Turkey Vulture. The light changed and proceeding on just as the bird flew over the road, it was obviously not a TV, but an all dark eagle. It began to circle, and I tried to get to a vantage point to have a look with my scope, as the binocs were at home. Just as I parked, it veered away and continued south. I continued chasing it down Johnny Cake Ridge Road, and onward south of Cliff, where it turned to the southwest. I turned west down Covington, and followed the bird as it flew right down the road until it turned more to the south and over Lebanon Hills Park. Most of the time it was less than 150 feet high. Beautiful!

Drew Smith

Eagan, Dakota County