Greetings AMSA listserv! We have a lot of exciting plans in the works,
please read to the end for a list of upcoming events!

*But first...* AMSA has partnered with the *Better World Books* organization
to hold a campus-wide book drive this semester. We collect books that the
bookstore won't buy back, and send them to BWB. This accomplishes several
things-

1. Earns funds for literacy initiatives worldwide for each book BWB sells
online. Our chosen beneficiary is *Books for Africa*, based in St Paul-
http://www.booksforafrica.org/
2. Our chapter is awarded 50 cents for each book sold online as well.
3. BWB donates any unsold books to BFA.
4. Rescues unsuitable donations from landfills with BWB's recycling program.

We invite ALL current and former students to participate. Have any college
textbooks left at your parents' house? Pick 'em up over Thanksgiving!
Undergrad biochem textbook collecting dust on the shelf? Donate it!
Collection bins will be placed in several campus locations, including the
MS1 and MS2 classrooms and Coffman Memorial Union bookstore, as soon as we
receive the materials from BWB. Donations will be accepted through the end
of the semester. Our goal is 3000 books, so spread the word- we hope as many
of you as possible will choose to contribute!

*Upcoming AMSA events*: (Please watch for upcoming class announcements,
fliers, and emails for more information)

1. *Thursday 11/12: Lunch Lecture*- MT 2-520. Dr. Jay Cohn, Preventive
Cardiology. Presented in collaboration with CDIG.

2. *Thursday 11/12: Health Care Reform Forum.* 6-8pm, Mayo
Auditorium. Non-partisan panel discussion by Susan Foote, Professor emerita
at U of M School of Public Health; Carol Backstrom, assistant to the
commissioner on health reform, Minnesota Department of Health;and Dr. Kent
Bottles, President, Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. Presented in
collaboration with the School of Public Health, SJMC, SNMA, and the Minority
Association of Pre-Medical Students.

3. *11/30-12/4: AIDS Awareness Week*- Lunch lecture series discussing
current topics in HIV/AIDS. Commemorates World AIDS Day, 12/1. Presented in
collaboration with SIHC, IDIG, and the School of Pharmacy.

4. *Monday 11/30: Trivia Night*. Location tba.

5. *Wednesday 12/9: Health Policy and a Pint*. Location tba.

6. *Friday 12/11: AIDS Awareness Benefit Concert*, St Anthony Main Event
Center. Live performance by Ari Nahum (MS1), Dr Pacala and their jazz band,
followed by Chris Martin (MS2) and his DJ skills. Ticket price is $15.
Proceeds benefit Tiny Tim & Friends, an organization run by native
Minnesotan, Dr. Tim Meade, for HIV/AIDS orphans in Africa. Our colleagues
Jillian Suzukida, Cassie Bulau, and Abe Markin served TTAF this summer, so
we hope to make them proud with our support!

Many thanks!