Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: December 17, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, December 17, 2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Weather is moderating in the northwest, and finally we are out of the deep freeze for at least a few days. Birds and people are moving around, and Christmas bird counts are beginning. Please let me know if you find anything unusual on your favorite CBC, and I will let everyone know the good news.

This week in Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported a NORTHERN FLICKER and a dozen DARK-EYED JUNCOS in her yard in East Grand Forks on December 11. On December 13, she observed a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and NORTHERN SHRIKE. Diana Morkassel reported 15 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS at Warren on December 17.

Here in Pennington County, I had a BROWN CREEPER and a pair of PILEATED WOODPECKERS in the yard on December 12.

From Kittson County on December 13, Larry Wilebski reported that RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES are very common at his place near Lancaster this year, and a few COMMON REDPOLLS are showing up.

Beth Siverhus in Warroad, Roseau County saw 30 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS and an AMERICAN ROBIN in the Warroad Library courtyard on December 14.

Thanks to Beth Siverhus, Diana Morkassel, Larry Wilebski, and Sandy Aubol for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, December 24, 2009.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN