December 21, 2009

Enjoyed a great day of birding with Alyssa DeRubeis today, Northeastern Minnesota.  We were able to relocate many of the species previously reported from the region.  Here are the species we relocated and information on our sightings of those species:

Black-headed Grosbeak - 8:55 - 9:30 am. - We arrived at the posted location at 8:55 and observed the bird at platform feeder next to the garage almost immediately.  The bird was briefly relocated in one of the Cedars around 9:10, but not observed again during the remainder of our stay.

Varied Thrush - 3920 Rehbein Road (CR242) - 10:00 - 10:40 am - We observed the Varied Thrush at this location for about 5 minutes, around 10:00 am.  The bird was observed in the Crab Apple tree across the street from the house at 3920 Rehbein Road.  After our initial sighting the bird dropped lower into the tree and out of our sight.  But is there is still a lot of fruit on the tree, so its likely the bird will hang out in this area for some time.

Canal Park - We checked Canal park for Gulls and waterfowl.  There were about 100 Common Goldeneye's in the channel and 100s of Gulls on some distant ice flows.  But most of the Gulls were to far away for me to identify.  The closer birds were all Herring Gulls.

Bohemian Waxwing - Noon - 12:40 pm - We relocated a flock of 30+ Bohemian Waxwings feeding in a Mountain Ash tree in the Riverside neighborhood.  The birds were along Union Street, between England Ave & Cato Ave.  Some of them were also observed along Cato Avenue, as well.

Great Grey Owl - Aitkin County - 3:15 - 3:20 pm - A Great Grey Owl was observed in the SW corner of the intersection of CR 18 and 320 th Place.

I would like to thank everyone who previously posted information on these birds!!

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, Hennepin County