Saturday afternoon we came across an adult breeding plumaged American Avocet in Houston County.  The bird was on one of the man made islands off the overlook about 4 miles south of Brownsville on Hwy 26.  It was off the wooden overlook, not the drive-in one.  The bird was originally seen about 2:30 and was still present when we came by again about 6:30 PM.  It was on the long island that had no plant growth and had several hundred Ring-billed Gulls for company.  This island is just south of looking straight across the river.

While not a first county record, we suspect that there are not many records.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN