We used to pay for a link-checking service to check all of our websites for broken links (inbound, external, internal, orphaned, the gamut) and then send weekly email reports to the specific webmaster. This enabled us to keep link-rot away (provided we paid any attention to the reports).

We stopped that service (expense outweighed benefit at the time), and the need is arising again.

What do you use to check for broken external links on your sites? I know we can check for internal/orphaned links in Dreamweaver, but I don't know of a free way to check all external links within a site, or of a reputable paid service.

Your thoughts welcome!

Megan

--
Megan Dushin, Web developer/coordinator
Institute on Community Integration | College of Education and Human Development