Listserv for the International Society
for the History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology

(see the end of this message for directions on
how to subscribe and unsubscribe from this
listserv)

ISHPSSB David L. Hull Prize
Reminder of the Deadline for Nominations and
Request for Financial Support

This is a reminder about the approaching deadline
for nominations for the first David L. Hull Prize
for History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of
Biology, honoring extraordinary scholarship and
service promoting connections among the
communities represented by our Society.  The
Prize commemorates the life of David Hull, who
exemplified both a high standard of
interdisciplinary scholarship and exemplary
service that helped to build bridges among our
disciplines; it is scheduled to be awarded at the
2011 meeting of ISHPSSB in Salt Lake City.  The
David L. Hull Prize consists of a Medal
recognizing the recipient's contributions to
scholarship and service.

A complete nomination package consists of two
letters of nomination, each signed by at least
one member of ISHPPSSB (thus there must be at
least two nominators) and a current curriculum
vitae of the candidate.  The deadline for
nominations is now very near: it is 1 January,
2011.  Nominations should be sent to the Chair of
the David L. Hull Prize Committee, preferably by
email to [log in to unmask], but alternatively by
land mail to
Richard Burian, Chair
David L. Hull Prize Committee
Department of Philosophy - 0126
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24060
USA

The Society also requests contributions in honor
of David Hull and in support of this prize.  We
will obtain a long-term supply of a very
attractive medal and hope to build a small fund
to be used appropriately.  Contributions can be
made by scrolling to the bottom of the Society's
membership page,
<http://www.ishpssb.org/membership.html>http://www.ishpssb.org/membership.html
.  There you will find donation buttons for
student travel and the David L. Hull Prize, and
buttons to obtain reduced-rate subscriptions to
some of the major journals in some of our
disciplines.  (You can also use this page to
become a member of the Society, extend your
membership, and/or revise your address
information.)

The David L. Hull Prize Committee for 2011 consists of
Richard M. Burian, Chair	[log in to unmask]
Garland Allen			[log in to unmask]
Lindley Darden			[log in to unmask]
Michael Dietrich		[log in to unmask];
Jean Gayon			[log in to unmask]
Jim Griesemer			[log in to unmask]
V. Betty Smocovitis		[log in to unmask]
Michel Morange			[log in to unmask]
Maria Jesús Santesmases	[log in to unmask]

Respectfully submitted,
Richard Burian

*** End of announcement

--
DIRECTIONS FOR SUBSCRIBING
  Send an email message to:

DIRECTIONS FOR UNSUBSCRIBING
  Send an email message to:
  with the following in the body of the message:
        SIGNOFF ISHPSB-L
Professor Roberta L. Millstein
Listserv Moderator, International Society for
History, Philosophy, and Social Studies of Biology
<http://www.ishpssb.org/>

Listserv archives: <http://lists.umn.edu/archives/ishpsb-l.html>

Snail mail:
Department of Philosophy