Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 8, 2011
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September 8, 2011 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

After the cool days last weekend, there is no doubt that summer weather is drawing to a close, but we are sure enjoying the warm sunny days this week. Migration seems to be going strong, as every day we see the last of some species.

Beau Shroyer found 2 EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES in Becker County , in Calloway along US 59 on September 5. At Hamden Slough on September 4, Shelley Steva found GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, STILT SANDPIPER, and several peeps, and a phalarope species.

Russ Wilber observed 5 or 6 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS at the East Grand Forks campground in Polk County on September 7. Sandy Aubol reported the first WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in her yard in East Grand Forks on September 7. Kim Eckert's Minnesota Birding Weekend group found SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, and GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKEN in Polk County. Also seen was a SHORT-EARED OWL at the future impoundment 6 miles south of the Wetlands, Pines, and Prairies Audubon Center near Warren. Other species seen in that county included SWAINSON'S HAWK, VIRGINIA RAIL, and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE.

Shelley Steva reported a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK near Plummer in Red Lake County on September 7.

In Pennington County the MBW group saw EARED GREBE, 135 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, and two AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS at the Thief River Falls Wastewater Treatment Ponds. Here at our feeder east of Thief River Falls in the last two days I have seen many TENNESSEE WARBLERS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, YELLOW WARBLERS,and a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and a NASHVILLE WARBLER. This morning, September 8, I was treated the the spectacle of several BAY-BREASTED WARBLERS, AMERICAN REDSTARTS, NASHVILLE WARBLERS, and RED-EYED VIREOS bathing among the dewy leaves of the apple tree. Other species seen in the yard today included RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, and GRAY CATBIRD.

In Marshall County, the MBW group had great looks at a RUDDY TURNSTONE, several BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, a SANDERLING, and several RED-NECKED PHALAROPES at the Warren Wastewater Treatment Ponds. Along with many other species, an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was found at Agassiz NWR.

In the course of the weekend, the MBW group birded in Pennington, Polk, and Marshall Counties and found 16 species of shorebirds and 18 warbler species.

Thanks to Beau Shroyer, Kim Eckert, Russ Wilber, Sandy Aubol, and Shelley Steva for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September 15, 2011.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN