Hotline: Minnesota Statewide
Date: October 28, 2011
Sponsor: Minnesota Ornithologists' Union (MOU) http://moumn.org
Reports: (763) 780-8890
Compiler: Anthony Hertzel ([log in to unmask])

This is the Minnesota Birding Report for October 28th, 2011.

That juvenile PURPLE SANDPIPER is still being seen in Swift County at the Lubenow W.P.A. about seven miles north of the town of Appleton. The specific location is along 230th Avenue, about two miles north of U.S. Highway 12. The most recent report I have is from the 24th.

On October 27th, Steven Falkowski found a GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH on the southwest side of Bear Island Lake near Babbitt, St. Louis County, on the beach near a group of private cabins. I have no more specific location.

And I have a belated report of a SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER which was photographed on the 18th on the runway of the Wabasha airport in Wabasha County.

On the 28th, a SNOWY OWL was reported on the Minnesota side of the Bong Bridge between Duluth and Superior. On the 24th, Jim Lind found a GREAT GRAY OWL at the east end of the Fairgrounds Road, one mile north of state highway 61 in Two Harbors, Lake County.

On October 27th, Bob Ekblad found three SURF SCOTERS at South Stanchfield Lake in Isanti County. He reported them from the east side of the lake as they moved toward the north. A BLACK SCOTER was seen here on the 23rd.

Also on the 27th, John Cyrus reported a second winter GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL from the southwest shore of Lake Waconia in Carver County.

A RED-THROATED LOON was on Lake Superior in Duluth on the 23rd. Other winter birds reported recently include THAYER'S GULL, SNOW BUNTING, PINE GROSBEAK, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, and COMMON REDPOLL.

The next scheduled update of this tape is November 3rd, 2011.