Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 6, 2011
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, October 6, 2011 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Another wonderful week of lovely fall weather has come and gone, and now we are looking at cooling temperatures in the near future. If we are lucky we will have another week of temperatures in the 60's. Leaves in the northwest are falling fast in the strong winds of the past two days. Migrating robins are everywhere, joined by juncos and sparrows scratching in the leaves.

On September 30, Roland Jordahl visited Maplewood State Park in Otter Tail County where he saw WILD TURKEY, GREEN HERON, EASTERN PHOEBE, and HARRIS'S SPARROW among others.

I have a secondhand report of many WILSON'S SNIPES at Glacial Ridge NWR in Polk County on September 30. Heidi Hughes reported on October 2 that over 1000 SANDHILL CRANES were in the cornfields near the Agassiz Valley flood control impoundment north of the Audubon Center of the Red River Valley, formerly known as the Wetlands, Pines, and Prairies Audubon Sanctuary.

Bob Ekblad found 5 SURF SCOTERS at the Thief River Falls wastewater treatment ponds on October 4. Here in the yard on October 5, were a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK with a catch, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, DARK-EYED JUNCOS, and PURPLE FINCHES among others.

On September 29, Cliff Steinhauer saw 5-7 TURKEY VULTURES about a half mile east of Holt on CR 7 in Marshall County. This is near to where he found a nest site with young last year. Maggie Anderson reported WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, HARRIS'S SPARROW, and DARK-EYED JUNCO at the headquarters feeders at Agassiz NWR on October 3.

Thanks to Bob Ekblad, Cliff Steinhauer, Heidi Hughes, Maggie Anderson, and Roland Jordahl for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, October 13, 2011.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN