Laura Coble and I visited Nerstrand last month, without finding them
in the usual places, around the visitors' center, parking lot, and
campground; neither did we find them on our hike along trails to the
north of there.

However, they may well have been off gathering mast from the oaks on
the south side trails, across the road, where we have also seen them
in the past. Since it hadn't been too cold at that point, they may not
have been interested in seeking out the suet feeders by the visitors'
center, where we usually see them in cold months. In our St. Paul
yard, other woodpeckers have only recently begun frequenting the nuts
and suet again.
Linda Whyte