Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: December 28, 2011
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Wednesday, December
28, 2011 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

This report will be a day early so that this reporter can participate in
the Christmas Bird County in the Beltrami Island State Forest. It
appears to be a rather quiet week both with the weather and the birds.

From Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported a large flock of over 2000 CANADA
GEESE that flew over the city of East Grand Forks on December 23. An
EASTERN TOWHEE, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and two HARRIS'S SPARROWS were
still coming to her feeder that day. A juvenile SNOWY OWL was found on
the east edge of East Grand Forks across from the American Crystal Sugar
plant, and a BALD EAGLE could be seen just north of the Crystal Sugar
lagoons. A ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was seen about 15 miles east of the city of
East Grand Forks. The Grand Forks-East Grand Forks CBC found a MERLIN, 2
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, 10 AMERICAN ROBINS, and several CEDAR WAXWINGS
on the Minnesota side of the Red River.

Here is Pennington County, a NORTHERN FLICKER visited our feeder east of
Thief River Falls early on Christmas morning. Linda Johnson reported a
BROWN CREEPER in her yard in Thief River Falls on December 26.

Thanks to Dave Lambeth, Linda Johnson, and Sandy Aubol for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, January 4,
2012.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN

--====1325123106====

<PRE>
-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*December 28, 2011
*MNDL1112.28

</PRE>
-Birds mentioned
<UL>
<LI>Canada Goose
<LI>Bald Eagle
<LI>Rough-legged Hawk
<LI>Merlin
<LI>Snowy Owl
<LI>Northern Flicker
<LI>Brown Creeper
<LI>Golden-crowned Kinglet
<LI>American Robin
<LI>Cedar Waxwing
<LI>Eastern Towhee
<LI>White-throated Sparrow
<LI>Harris's Sparrow
</UL>
-Transcript
<P>
<P>
This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Wednesday, December 28, 2011 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.
<P>
This report will be a day early so that this reporter can participate in the Christmas Bird County in the Beltrami Island State Forest. It appears to be a rather quiet week both with the weather and the birds.
<P>
From Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported a large flock of over 2000 <B style="color: #0057ad">CANADA GEESE</B> that flew over the city of East Grand Forks on December 23. An <B style="color: #0057ad">EASTERN TOWHEE, WHITE-THROATED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">SPARROW,</B> and two <B style="color: #0057ad">HARRIS'S SPARROWS</B> were still coming to her feeder that day. A juvenile <B style="color: #0057ad">SNOWY OWL</B> was found on the east edge of East Grand Forks across from the American Crystal Sugar plant, and a <B style="color: #0057ad">BALD EAGLE</B> could be seen just north of the Crystal Sugar lagoons. A <B style="color: #0057ad">ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK</B> was seen about 15 miles east of the city of East Grand Forks. The Grand Forks-East Grand Forks CBC found a <B style="color: #0057ad">MERLIN,</B> 2 <B style="color: #0057ad">GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS,</B> 10 <B style="color: #0057ad">AMERICAN ROBINS,</B> and several <B style="color: #0057ad">CEDAR WAXWINGS</B> on the Minnesota side of the Red River.
<P>
Here is Pennington County, a <B style="color: #0057ad">NORTHERN FLICKER</B> visited our feeder east of Thief River Falls early on Christmas morning. Linda Johnson reported a <B style="color: #0057ad">BROWN CREEPER</B> in her yard in Thief River Falls on December 26.
<P>

--====1325123106====--