The CFANS theme is a child theme I built based on the Genesis Framework by StudioPress. (Their base theme is great & they are good at making sure that Genesis is updated frequently. Nothing has broken after any updates.) Getting all the divs & php in the right place so that things work properly isn't that hard.
http://www.studiopress.com/

We use the same theme for a bunch of sites. Site maintainers can insert their own banner, pick 2- or 3-column templates on a per-page basis, and pick whether or not they want a horizontal top nav bar as well as something in the left column.

I'm running a bunch of sites using WordPress multisite. It's a little quirky and some things take a while to figure out at first, but it's nice only having to update templates & plugins once and have it apply to a bunch of sites.

- Rachel