Hotline: Minnesota Statewide
Date: March 8, 2012
Sponsor: Minnesota Ornithologists' Union (MOU) http://moumn.org
Reports: (763) 780-8890
Compiler: Anthony Hertzel ([log in to unmask])

This is the Minnesota Birding Report for March 8th, 2012.

I have a late report of two MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS which were seen on March
3rd in Cook County at the Coho Cafe in Tofte. Both were on the lake side
of state highway 61.

On March 6th, several birders reported a ROSS'S GOOSE on Long Meadow
Lake near the Bass Ponds area of Bloomington, Hennepin County.

A TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE was at the Litchfield Nature Center in Meeker
County on the 4th. Another was refound at Montissippi Park, Monticello,
Wright County on the 3rd, and Al Schirmacher reported one at the Ann
Lake Sand Dunes in Sherburne County on the 2nd.

And a VARIED THRUSH is visiting the yard of Dave Olson, about two and a
half miles northeast of Chisholm. Please call Dave before visiting,
218-254-3431. Another has been in Credit River Township, Dakota County
for more than two weeks, but I have no further information.

Chad Heins saw the first KILLDEER of the spring from Blue Earth County
on March 6th. Additional spring migrants reported over the last week
include GREEN-WINGED TEAL, HOODED MERGANSER, GREAT BLUE HERON, NORTHERN
HARRIER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, AMERICAN WOODCOCK, RING-BILLED GULL,
AMERICAN ROBIN, EASTERN TOWHEE, RUSTY BLACKBIRD, and RED-WINGED
BLACKBIRD.

The next scheduled update of this tape is March 15th, 2012.