Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: March 1, 2012
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, March 1, 2012 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

As far as birds go, it has been a quiet week, and as for the storm, only the southern part of this area got that. Not many birds were reported this week, but the HORNED LARKS are becoming more obvious. Now is the time to look for the grouse species as , with a little snow cover, they are much more obvious when they come out in the mild weather.

Shelley Steva and I went on a short road trip north on February 25. We saw NORTHERN SHRIKES in Lake of the Woods, Roseau , and Beltrami Counties for a total of about 8 in all. A very pale NORTHERN SHRIKE was seen along Dick's Parkway between Hiwood Road and the northern edge of the County.

Beth Siverhus had a visit from a pair of PILEATED WOODPECKERS in Warroad, Roseau County, on February 25. She also reported NORTHERN SHRIKE and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK. Shelley Steva and I found five adult BALD EAGLES in a field on the southeast corner of the intersection of MN 11 and CR 9. Other species seen in the county included GRAY JAY and COMMON RAVEN.

In Marshall County, Cliff Steinhauer reported a large flock of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS at his place near the west entrance to Agassiz NWR on February 25. On the 24th, he had 15 PINE GROSBEAKS in his fruit trees. A flock of 75 COMMON REDPOLLS has been visiting his yard also. Lynda Knutsen at Agassiz NWR reported a pair of BALD EAGLES at the Parker Pool nest and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS still in the area this week.

In Beltrami County, Shelley Steva and I saw both RUFFED GROUSE and SHARP-TAILED GROUSE. Several NORTHERN SHRIKES and a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK were also seen.

Shelley and I saw several HORNED LARKS, and COMMON RAVEN, AMERICAN CROW, and BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES in eastern Pennington County on February 25.

On February 25, Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County, reported SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and PILEATED WOODPECKER. On March 1, she reported that the EASTERN TOWHEE,two HARRIS'S SPARROWS, and the NORTHERN CARDINAL made it through the winter to the spring season. COMMON REDPOLLS and one HOARY REDPOLL have also been seen in the area.

Marshall Howe found ten HORNED LARKS in Dorset, Hubbard County on February 28.

Thanks to Beth Siverhus, Cliff Steinhauer, Lynda Knutsen, Marshall Howe, and Sandy Aubol for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN