I just received a nice photo of a Purple Sandpiper taken last
Saturday, March 17, in Lake County. I have asked the observer's
permission to post the location on MOU-net and the digital image on
the MOU's Recently Seen page. (I'd rather not do either right now
since she may want to post these herself.)

This surprising sighting is the first ever spring record Minnesota
(there are 6 previous fall/early winter records), and it raises the
question if it's possible this bird actually overwintered here but was
not detected until last weekend?  -Kim