I saw a really great example of more informative bus signs when I was
visiting Austin, TX this week. Luckily they had an example and a full
explanation on their metro website since I forgot to snap a picture. I
ended up using this service multiples times during my visit. Being a UMN
nerd, I immediately thought of this conversation :-).

A great feature they added was braile on the signs. Phil K could probably
offer input to the usability of the braile on a bus sign. Check it out.

http://www.capmetro.org/newsigns/

Dave

--
David Peterson