Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: May 24, 2012
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, May 24,
2012 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Here is the northwest migration appears to be largely over, as we only
hear the normal resident nesters in our yards. A trip north into Roseau
and northern Beltrami County today did not find any migrants that would
not nest in the area. We still hope for a few more, but think the winds
of the last week or so may have blown them right over us.

From Warroad in Roseau County, Beth Siverhus reported a CONNECTICUT
WARBLER in her yard in Warroad. Other species seen in the county this
week included WESTERN KINGBIRD, EASTERN KINGBIRD, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET,
CEDAR WAXWING, WILSON'S WARBLER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, BLACKPOLL,
NASHVILLE WARBLER, and CAPE MAY WARBLER. This afternoon I found a pair
of COMMON LOONS, two GREEN HERONS and about 10 MARBLED GODWITS at the
Nereson impoundment.

Larry Wilebski reported more than 100 shorebirds at the WMA north of
Orleans in Kittson County this week. On his property, there are LEAST
BITTERN, NORTHERN GOSHAWK, BOBOLINK, and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD.

In Beltrami County, Andrew Nyhus saw a GREAT GRAY OWL along MN 72 five
miles south of Waskish today. I found GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS in three
places along the Moose River Road northwest in far northwestern Beltrami
County today also.

Bill Blackburn reported 19 species of shorebirds at the Agassiz Valley
impoundment in Marshall and Polk Counties ,north of the Audubon Center ,
including many HUDSONIAN GODWITS. AMERICAN BITTERN and SORA were also
present among other species. On May 22, Maggie Anderson found 7 WESTERN
GREBES there. A WHITE-FACED IBIS was among the 16 species of shorebirds
identified by the Detroit Lake Festival tour at Agassiz NWR on May 20.

I checked on the COMMON RAVEN nest in Pennington County this week, only
to find that the big babies have fledged but are still in the area.
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS have finally returned to Thief River Falls
this week.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County reported COMMON NIGHTHAWK,
and CHIMNEY SWIFT on May 21, and RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD on May 18.
Russ Wilbur observed several RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS at the south end of
the East Grand Forks campground on May 23.

From Mahnomen County, Kristy May reported SANDHILL CRANES south of
Ogema, a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER on the north edge of Calloway, as well as
CHIMNEY SWIFTS and CEDAR WAXWINGS. Three ORCHARD ORIOLES were seen in
her yard on May 24.

Dennis Weisenborn found a CONNECTICUT WARBLER on the Moorhead side of
the North Dam in Clay County on May 23.

In Becker County, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen at Balmoral Golf Course
and RED-NECKED PHALAROPE at Hamden Slough by the Detroit Lakes Birding
Festival.

David Harrington found a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER at the north end of Walker
Bay on Leech Lake in Hubbard County on May 18.

Marshall Howe in Hubbard County saw HUDSONIAN GODWITS and three CASPIAN
TERNS on the north end of Upper Twin Lake near Hubbard on May 19. A
COMMON MERGANSER and a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO were seen in Dorset on May
22, and a YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD on May 23.

In Cass County, Marshall Howe found BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and
WILSON'S PHALAROPES at the Walker wastewater treatment ponds on May 17.

Charlene Nelson observed a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS on a pond just south
of Battle Lake in Otter Tail County on CR 78 on May 22.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, May 31,
2012.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN