Sandy Aubol and I spent the morning birding Polk County in northwestern
Minnesota.  We were pleased to see a WHIMBREL at the East Grand Forks
sewage lagoons 2 sections north of highway 2 and 1 section west of of
highway 220.  The bird was traveling with a MARBLED GODWIT and flew over
our vehicle while we were observing the first lagoon.  We followed both
birds until they landed at a muddy spot in the field east of the second
lagoon.  The bird stayed for fifteen minutes before it flew north.  We
tried to relocate the bird but failed.  I suspect the bird has moved on;
it did not give the impression that it was going to stay while we were
observing it.

Here are some really horrible photos of a great bird.  I don't really
have a good digiscoping setup.  Sandy Aubol may post a followup with
better photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29551014@N07/8733224118/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29551014@N07/8733224184/in/photostream/

I'd also like to say hello to MOU for the first time!  I just moved here
from Georgia last July and I'm really enjoying everything so far.  I'm a
new professor of fisheries and wildlife management at University of
Minnesota Crookston.  I'm hoping to do some more exploration of
Minnesota this summer (starting next week), so hopefully I'll meet some
of you!

~Vanessa Lane
Grand Forks, ND