Record high numbers of Red-throated Loons have been found at Duluth for the
fourth time in the last four days. A previous posting announced the total
of 174 found by Mike Hendrickson, Jan & Larry Kraemer, and Peder Svingen at
Park Point on Sunday (5 May). Two days later on Tuesday afternoon (7 May),
Jan & Larry Kraemer and Peder Svingen counted 287 Red-throated Loons at
Park Point between the 12th Street access and Sky Harbor Airport. This
morning (8 May), Karl Bardon tallied a remarkably similar total of 288 at
Park Point and this afternoon, Mike Hendrickson, Jan & Larry Kraemer, and
Peder Svingen teamed up to count no fewer than 355 Red-throated Loons at
Duluth!

During each of these surveys, we carefully excluded birds counted from
previous locations as we proceeded along Park Point from Canal Park to the
Sky Harbor Airport. Counts were done from Canal Park, 12th St access, 22nd
St access, 31st St (Lafayette Square), 43rd St access, and the beach near
Sky Harbor Airport. Our highest single point counts were 196 Red-throated
Loons at 22nd St (5/8) and 169 at Lafayette Square (5/7), but high numbers
have also been recorded at 43rd St and from the dunes near the airport.
When multiple observers were present, we took turns recording data as the
other members of our party carefully identified and counted each loon. It
should be noted that at each stop there were several thousand
unidentifiable birds visible far out on the lake and some were undoubtedly
Red-throated Loons. It would not be surprising to find much higher numbers
if we surveyed western Lake Superior by boat or by airplane (MOU members
may recall that boat and airplane surveys of Common Loons at Lakes
Winnibigoshish and Mille Lacs were conducted with results comparable to
shore-based surveys, but Lake Superior is a whole new ball game -- maybe we
can get a grant to survey western Lake Superior using a drone…).

Why are record high numbers of Red-throated Loons being found this spring?
We suspect that a confluence of factors has created a "perfect storm" at
Duluth. The long, cold winter has kept large lakes to our north frozen much
later than normal (ice-out dates in NE Minnesota are predicted to be among
the latest ever recorded). As a result, loons and other waterbirds are
staging on western Lake Superior for extended periods of time instead of
stopping by for just a few days. Conditions for viewing birds on Lake
Superior have been near perfect for each of the last four days with calm or
very light winds, still, sky-blue waters, cool temperatures with minimal
heat distortion, and very few fishing boats out on the lake. Afternoon
surveys have the advantage of better lighting, though Karl's morning survey
today under overcast conditions produced several additional species of
interest (all 3 scoter species, Long-tailed Duck, Eared Grebe, and Western
Grebe). Up to 3 Western Grebes were still visible from the Rose Garden /
Lief Erikson Park area this afternoon and a male Ruddy Duck and 3
White-winged Scoters were found on the bayside of Park Point. There may
never be a better time and place to see so many Red-throated Loons in
Minnesota at once!

--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN