An adult Red-headed Woodpecker showed up in our yard today. It poked around
in fresh sapsucker drillings on a birch. First one we've seen in many years.
On May 19, a pair of Green Herons began constructing a nest in a balsam fir,
about 15 ft up. The tree is in our yard, between our house and Lake
Beltrami. We can view the nest from our living room, though branches make it
difficult to photograph. The herons apparently began incubating yesterday.
We'll continue to monitor and cross our fingers that the pair will be
successful.