Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 23, 2014
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, October 23, 2014 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We have been having splendid, warm, sunny weather in the northwest, and many species are using the nice conditions to move south. I no longer have hordes of white-throated sparrows and dark-eyed juncos in the yard now. Leaves have nearly all blown down in the windy conditions lately, so the next time we have a big wind, it will howl as in winter.

Cliff Steinhauer observed a large flock of SANDHILL CRANES feeding in a field three miles east of Holt along Marshall CR 7 today.

A flock of SNOW BUNTINGS was seen by Gary Tischer today along Pennington CR 28 in the far northern part of the county, and 12 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE were seen along MN 1 east of the Goodridge corner. Here in our yard in Pennington County, I heard a COMMON RAVEN fly over, and one WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW appeared at the feeder.

Sandy Aubol reported that 20 PINE SISKINS and one COMMON REDPOLL showed up at her East Grand Forks feeder in Polk County on October 20. On October 18, Shelley Steva saw 75 SANDHILL CRANES along CR 21, but on a quick trip to the Glacial Ridge area this afternoon I didn't see any. On October 22, Shelley saw 4 flocks of LAPLAND LONGSPURS along US 75, and another flock along CR 252. Also along that road there was a flock of SHARP-TAILED GROUSE and one HORNED LARK. A ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was seen along CR 21. On October 21, Matt Mecklenburg saw a mixed flock of LAPLAND LONGSPURS and SNOW BUNTINGS south of Malmberg Prairie near the beet piles and a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was observed a Glacial Ridge. I saw an AMERICAN PIPIT, one AMERICAN TREE SPARROW, and 3 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE in the Glacial Ridge area this afternoon.

Matt Mecklenburg reported a NORTHERN SHRIKE and a BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE in Clay County on October 21. Two BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES were seen by Steve Midthune along CR 12 in Becker County on October 23.

Marshall Howe in Hubbard County reported AMERICAN TREE SPARROW on October 17, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES on October 18, PURPLE FINCH and DARK-EYED JUNCOS on October 19, and a PINE SISKIN on October 20. On October 22, there were RUSTY BLACKBIRD, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and still some COMMON LOONS.

Charlene Nelson reported 8 BALD EAGLES, 22 TRUMPETER SWANS, and about 10000 AMERICAN COOTS on Lake Christina in Grant County across from Seven Sisters on Highway 78 on October 17.

Thanks to all who sent in their sightings this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, October 30, 2014