Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: November 13, 2014
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, November
13, 2014 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

Many things have changed this week. We are getting the first really cold
spell now , and open water is disappearing quickly. Also the last cold
front came in with a whoosh, and the cold wind persuaded many birds to
keep moving. As a result, most of the waterfowl have gone, except those
on large deep lakes that still have some open water. Yesterday, on a
trip to Fargo we saw hundreds of CANADA GEESE in the fields south of
Crookston, and today on our return, there were none. SNOWY OWLS are
being reported, and today I looked for two of them reported below but
found neither. They are definitely still on the move.

A total of 4 SNOWY OWLS were reported in the northwest this week.
Yesterday, November 12, an adult male was spotted by Shelley Steva 5
miles east of Brooks along MN 92 in Red Lake County. Kathy Jones
reported one seen about 7 miles southwest of Thief River Falls in
Pennington County around November 7. Neither of those two could be found
today. Beau Shroyer saw one in front of the high school in Bemidji,
Beltrami County, on the south side of US 2 bypass on November 11. Kathy
Jones also observed a SNOWY OWL a few miles east of Roseau, Roseau
County, on November 8.

Benjamin Eckhoff reported species are changing in Lake Carlos State
Park, Douglas County, this week, as most of the waterfowl have gone from
the smaller bodies of water, and numbers are down even on the larger
lakes. That said a large influx of migrating diving ducks was seen this
week ahead of the front, including HOODED MERGANSERS, BUFFLEHEAD,
REDHEADS, CANVASBACKS, RUDDY DUCKS , and scaup. At the feeders were
BROWN CREEPER and PURPLE FINCH. RED-TAILED HAWKS, and SHARP-SHINNED
HAWKS are still migrating through.

Marshall Howe in Dorset in Hubbard County saw a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE
visit briefly on November 10. Other species seen this week in the county
included ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, 200 HOODED MERGANSERS on Lake Emma, SNOW
BUNTINGS, and DARK-EYED JUNCOS. 5 TUNDRA SWANS were seen on Lake Alice
bog.

From Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK and one
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in her yard in East Grand Forks on November 8; on
November 10 a RUSTY BLACKBIRD arrived and was joined by two others on
November 11. Kim Greendahl reported BALD EAGLE and WILD TURKEY in Polk
County on November 11.

Dave Harbott observed ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS and BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES near
Hazel in Pennington County on November 8, and a female NORTHERN CARDINAL
at his father's place in St Hilaire. Also there was a GOLDEN-CROWNED
KINGLET. Today, I saw over 50 WILD TURKEYS southwest of Thief River
Falls near CR 7.

Thanks to Beau Shroyer, Benjamin Eckhoff, Dave Harbott, Kathy Jones, Kim
Greendahl, Marshall Howe, Sandy Aubol, and Shelley Steva for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, November
20, 2014.