Print

Hey birders,

Craig Mandel pointed out to me that the Acadian Flycatcher that I saw
yesterday morning was a first county record for Sibley.  I didn’t realize
that so now I’m providing details.

The bird was seen at the Jessenland Unit of the Minnesota Valley National
Wildlife Refuge.  Take CR6 north from Henderson and park in the south
parking lot (there’s a blue address marker on the north side of the
road--#31148).  Walk through the restored prairie east-southeast toward a
stand of cottonwoods.  The bird was audible from the west side of the
cottonwoods and seemed to favor a wet meadow immediately behind the
cottonwoods.  At one point we saw him calling from a perch in the open and
he was very cooperative.  Be prepared for wet feet if you venture to the
east side of the Cottonwoods!

Benji Inniger and I also saw a Red-shouldered Hawk working the ridge on the
west side of CR6.  The bird came out of the river valley and then was
working back and forth there for about 3 or 4 minutes.  Habitat is good for
a nesting pair.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato

*Chad Heins*

Assistant Professor of Biology

Bethany Lutheran College

700 Luther Drive

Mankato, MN 56001

Office: 507.344.7327  | Toll Free: 800.944.3066

[log in to unmask] www.blc.edu