Percent Time: 100% Type of
Position Regular: A position which is considered essential for the
effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to
this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with
regular employment status. Duties:
The University of Iowa Central Microscopy Research Facility is an
Office of the Vice President for Research core resource, offering a wide
array of instrumentation to research investigators.
We are currently in search of a Core Facility Research Specialist to
oversee a newly established Electron Microprobe (EPMA) facility serving
a multidisciplinary community of users. Essential responsibilities
include using wavelength-dispersive (WDS) and energy-dispersive (EDS)
micro-analytical techniques on a JEOL JXA-8230 fully equipped with 5 WDS
spectrometers (3 PETL-LIFL, TAPL-LDEL, and PETJ-TAPJ-LDE1-LDE2),
advanced EDS and cathodoluminescence (CL) instrumentation to assist
research on geologic and other solid-state specimens. The facility also
houses a Hitachi S-3400N environmental SEM equipped with a Bruker EDS
system and a Gatan Chroma CL detector.
- Perform chemical microanalyses of geologic, ceramic, metals, thin films, and other solid materials.
- Daily calibration of the electron microprobe and monitoring
performance of researchers/investigators collecting their own data, data
collection and reduction, analysis for some researchers/investigators,
and instrument demonstrations for classes and visitors.
- Provide back-up support for other analytical facilities, such as the SEM and ICP-MS.
- Effectively communicate to provide consultation, written reports,
and verbal presentations describing sample preparation, analytical
methods, analytical data acquisition, and interpretation of results.
- Provide education and training to EPMA and SEM users on sample preparation, analytical procedures, and data analysis.
- Stay current with state-of-art characterization techniques to provide solutions for researchers/investigators.
- Handle multiple projects while guaranteeing very high data quality standards.
- Work closely with researchers/investigators in conducting and/or developing new and specialized scientific research procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of EPMA software and hardware, provide
oversight and routine maintenance of the electron microprobe, and
Please note regarding references : 5 (Five) professional references will be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment process.
- Collaboration and Embracing Diversity - Ability to work with a variety
of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while
appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from varied
cultures, race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, disability,
sexual orientation, and gender identity.
- Establishes and maintains positive and productive working relationships within and outside of own area and background.
- Identifies and resolves disagreements/conflicts in early stages.
- Promotes a safe, equitable, respectful environment in which concerns can be addressed effectively.
- Recommends changes to work practices and policies to promote transparency and approachability.
- Positive Impact/Achieving Results - Ability to utilize existing
resources and learning to achieve or exceed desired outcomes of current
and future organizational goals/needs. Able to demonstrate ethical
behavior in diverse situations while producing results.
- Ensures time, resources, energy, learning opportunities, and actions
are focused on priorities that matter to the changing workplace.
- Creates a team environment of accountability and commitment for
reaching goals and desired results; ensures team is developed to address
- Ensures compliance with codes of ethics that benefit the overall good of all constituents.
- Demonstrates and communicates a big picture understanding of the organization, its interrelationships, and priorities.
- Service Excellence/Customer Focus - Ability to meet or exceed
customer service needs and expectations and provide excellent service in
a direct or indirect manner. Ability to effectively transmit and
interpret information through appropriate communication with internal
and external customers.
- Effectively uses a broad range of methods in communicating complex ideas to diverse populations.
- Monitors profession/field/discipline for trends and implements innovative solutions to enhance service.
- Builds successful track record of superior personal and organizational service delivery in diverse environments.
- Promotes excellence achieved through reports or other media for
distribution to internal and/or external constituents and the
- The Core Facility Research Specialist classification is in the Core
Facility Research job family. For more information about the Core
Facility Research job family click on the link above.
- A Master’s degree in a scientific field or an equivalent combination
of education and experience is required. Experience Required:
- At least three years of experience in EPMA of geological materials
using both energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and wavelength
dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (WDS).
- Demonstrated ability to independently design EMPA WDS and EDS
analytical routines for a variety of materials while optimizing accuracy
and precision to suit the analytical needs.
- Understanding the factors that affect the accuracy and precision of
EMPA analyses, and the ability to clearly communicate these to
colleagues and students with expertise in other fields.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a position of increasing responsibility. Desirable Qualifications:
- PhD in a scientific field
- Post-degree professional experience of at least one year after the completion of the doctoral degree.
- EPMA publications on geological topics.
- Familiarity with Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM),
Cathodoluminescence (CL) and Laser-Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma
Mass Spectrometry (LA ICP-MS) analytical techniques and data analysis.
Online Application Options
Application Type: This job requires basic applicant
information, plus a resume. Your resume should not be sent to the
contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application
Process. Cover Letter: A plain text cover letter is required.
To start the Online Application process for this position, click the
"Apply for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.
Attention: Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
Contact: Wendy E Loney
UNIVERSITY CAPITOL CENTRE
200 SOUTH CAPITOL STREET
IOWA CITY, IA 52242
Department URL: http://cmrf.research.uiowa.edu/