Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: November 11, 2015
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Wednesday, November
11, 2015 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

We are easing slowly into winter conditions here in the northwest.
Tomorrow we are forecast to be treated with our second dusting of snow,
maybe up to three inches, but by the weekend it will be above 40 again-
the ups and downs of the fall season. This is also the season to find
rarities so look at every bird you see at the feeder.

In Marshall County on November 5, some of the Agassiz Wildlife Refuge
staff found two immature SNOWY OWLS perched on the roof of the rest room
at the end of the Rodahl Trail on the west side of the refuge.

A FOX SPARROW appeared at the feeder of Shelley Steva in Thief River
Falls, Pennington County, on November 8, and on that day I saw a
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT perched on a floating log on the Red Lake
River.

In Becker County, the VERMILION FLYCATCHERS that have been seen for more
than a week were still there as of November 8. These birds are on
private property, and the homeowners do not want their name or location
published, so to get permission and directions contact Denny Martin
([log in to unmask]) and he can give you a phone number for the
homeowner, who must be called before coming. In addition to the
flycatchers, Craig Mandel saw HORNED GREBE, YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD, and
LONG-TAILED DUCK in Becker County that day. The LONG-TAILED DUCK was on
Stakke Lake. To get there take CR 5 south out of Lake Park and turn
right onto Stakke Lake Road. Follow the road around the lakes to the
southern end where the bird was hanging out with some buffleheads. Steve
Midthune reported a SNOWY OWL just south of the intersection of CR 15
and CR 6 on November 5. While on the trip to see the flycatchers on
November 7, my group found a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE in the town of
Calloway.

Thanks to Craig Mandel, Shelley Steva, Sandy Aubol, and especially to
the homeowners who are hosting the vermilion flycatchers and putting up
with all the visitors.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, November
19, 2015

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN