Although the Ivory Gull disappeared from Canal Park several times today, especially when all the gulls were flushed by eagles, it eventually returned to dine on salmon. Early morning and after about 2:00 PM seem to be most reliable (as it was today), but anytime is worthwhile. The sidewalks, pier, and nearby areas are ice covered and treacherous, so beware! Thanks to all who have brought fresh salmon especially Shawn Zierman. Fresh frozen fish is just as good and might even last longer, since the Herring Gulls can't easily gulp down the entire filet.

Lots of great photos have appeared on multiple platforms and it made the local news over the weekend. Next step CNN and The Situation Room? In case anyone is interested, I've uploaded a 2 minute video of the bird dining on my ahi and king salmon New Year's Day:

https://youtu.be/ydynud3TXyA

--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN