JEOL Probe Users Listserver
miss the mountains? Like skiing? Maybe this is of interest to you.
Please find below a job ad for a Technician in the Materials Characterization Lab (includes EPMA, SEM etc) at the University of Wyoming.
Laboratory Technician III
University of Wyoming
Family Medicine Residency Program
$45,024 a year
Job Description Job Title: Laboratory Technician III Job ID: 7880 Location: Main Campus Full/Part Time: Full-Time Regular/Temporary:Regular FLSA Status: Exempt Department: 21090 Geology & Geophysics Minimum Rate: $45,024.00 Date Opened: 02/10/2016 Closes at 11:59PM MT on 03/02/2016
Please Note The University of Wyoming invites diverse applicants to consider our employment opportunities. We are also especially interested in candidates who have experience working with diverse populations and/or diverse initiatives. Essential Duties
- Assist and train users with all instrumentation in the Materials Characterization Laboratory. Focus is on SEM and XRF, but also included are XRD, Microprobe, and FE-SEM. Assist with hands-on instruction of students in formal microbeam classes as required.
- Collaborate in research involving microanalytical techniques, measurement design, data acquisition, error analysis, and data analysis.
- Perform data acquisition for contract users. Perform data processing for contract users as needed.
- Advise faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, postdoctoral researchers and other researchers in effective and appropriate applications of electron microbeam techniques to their research problems.
- Assist in sample preparation for microanalysis and other applications.
- Perform routine maintenance of major equipment and other laboratory instrumentation.
- Maintain and upgrade computer software specific to laboratory instrumentation or data analysis applications.
- Perform repairs or upgrades of equipment if possible.
- Monitor instrument performance and data quality.
- Bachelor's level degree and two years of experience in electron microscopy.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
Some experience in one or more of the following methods:
- Master's level degree or equivalent involving characterization of solid materials
- Hands-on experience in scanning electron microscopy and X-ray spectroscopy
- X-Ray Fluoresence analysis
- X-Ray Diffraction
- Electron Probe Microanalysis
- Experience in one-on-one and/or small group technical training
- Demonstrated experience in analytical quality assurance/quality control considerations.
- Complete on-line application, resume, cover letter, and contact information for three work-related references.
The University of Wyoming is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law and University policy. To review the EEO is the Law Poster and its Supplement , please see The Diversity & Fairness page .
We conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Welcome to Laramie
The University of Wyoming is located in Laramie, a town of 30,000 in the heart of the Rocky Mountain West. Wyoming is investing in its university, helping to make it a leader in academics, research and outreach.
The university has state-of-the-art facilities in many areas and is a cultural center for the state. Located on a high plain between the Laramie and Snowy Range mountain ranges, Laramie has more than 300 days of sunshine a year and is near year-round outdoor activities that include skiing, hiking, camping, bicycling, fishing and climbing.
The community provides the advantages of a major university and a distinctive identity as an important city in a frontier state. Laramie is near many of Colorado's major cities and university communities (Fort Collins: 1 hour; Boulder: 1.5 hours; Denver: 2 hours; Colorado Springs; 4 hours).
Dr. Anette von der Handt
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Minnesota
310 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Office phone: (612) 624-7370
Office fax: (612) 625-3819
Lab phone: (612) 624-3539