Hi all - I'm sending this to both lists so I can get everyone's wisdom.

I was explaining to a class about setting up gas detectors and the difference between differential and integral modes.  The question came up as to why one would ever operate in intergral mode.  I didn't have a good answer (obviously setting up really tight parameters in differential mode can cause problems) - why not use differential mode with wide windows instead of integral mode?

Is this a holdover from earlier electronics?

Ken in Alaska
**** JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Anette von der Handt, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota