Listserv for the International Society for the History, Philosophy,
and Social Studies of Biology

(see the end of this message for directions on how to subscribe and
unsubscribe from this listserv)

This listserv sends out brief descriptions only. For further details,
follow the link provided.

Please send me items at [log in to unmask] to post to the list that
would be of interest to Society members: position announcements,
postdoctoral announcements, grant and funding opportunities,
conference announcements, calls for papers, and brief queries on
research topics.  The sooner you send me something, the more likely
that I will be able to have it posted before its deadline.

Thanks!

Trevor Pearce
Listserv Moderator, International Society for History, Philosophy, and
Social Studies of Biology

ISHPSSB 2017: The website for ISHPSSB 2017 is now live.
http://ishpssb2017.abfhib.org

PhD Program: The newly launched Interuniversity PhD Program in History
and Philosophy of Biology invites applications. The program is run
jointly between Tel Aviv University, The Hebrew University of
Jerusalem, and Bar Ilan University. Applications will be considered on
a rolling bases starting 1 April 2016.
http://goo.gl/3RzquZ

PhD Program: The research group "Integrating Ethics and Epistemology
of Science" (jointly organized by the philosophy departments of
Leibniz Universität Hannover and Bielefeld University, Germany)
announces four fully-funded positions for doctoral candidates in
philosophy of science and/or ethics of science. Deadline: 5 June 2016.
http://goo.gl/XDAH2K

Postdoc: The Interuniversity PhD Program in History and Philosophy of
the Life Science (IHPLS) seeks
applications for a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship starting on October
1, 2016. Deadline: 15 April 2016.
http://goo.gl/jjdO9U

Summer School: "Human Nature and the Question of Human Individuality,"
25-29 July 2016, Gut Siggen (East Holstein, north of Lübeck), Germany.
A total of 20 places are available for advanced PhD students and
recent PhDs working on the philosophy and history of the life
sciences, on social studies in the field, or on other related areas.
Deadline: 12 April 2016.
https://goo.gl/pmP8Hd

Winter/Summer School: "Philosophical and Historical Dimensions of
Biological Individuality," 18-21 July 2016, University of Sydney,
Australia. We invite applications from graduate students and
early-career researchers in the history, philosophy, and social
studies of science and biomedicine, and related fields. Deadline: 30
May 2016.
http://goo.gl/1ZxHT3

Call for Abstracts: "Examining Broader Issues in Astrobiology and
Space Exploration," Social and Conceptual Issues in Astrobiology
(SoCIA) 2016 and ISHPSSB Off-Year Workshop, 24-25 September 2016,
Clemson University, South Carolina, USA. Deadline: 1 June 2016.

Workshop: "30 Years after *The Dialectical Biologist*," 14-16 June
2016, University of Bordeaux, France. The workshop will revisit the
big picture and lessons of *The Dialectical Biologist* with
philosophers, biologists, and physicians.
http://goo.gl/Zj0Swm

Call for Interest: "Identity and Community in (Techno)science." We are
a team of three STS scholars currently focusing on questions of
identity and community that have emerged in parallel from our
individual empirical engagements with the new bio(techno)sciences. If
you are interested in participating in group projects related to this
topic, please contact Dr. Karen Kastenhofer at [log in to unmask]
https://goo.gl/hdQOF8

Job: The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Library and Archives is
currently accepting applications for a Science Informationist/Writer
position. We encourage candidates with interests in science and the
history of science, specifically in molecular biology and genetics, to
review the details of this position.
https://goo.gl/myuyjZ

Prize: The Journal of the History of Biology (JHB) has inaugurated the
Everett Mendelssohn Prize, which will be awarded annual to the author
of an article published during the previous 3 years of JHB. All
articles will be automatically considered.
http://goo.gl/5kixdd

Book: Catherine Kendig (ed.), *Natural Kinds and Classification in
Scientific Practice*.
https://goo.gl/mhYNyR

Book: Maurizio Meloni, *Political Biology: Science and Social Values
in Human Heredity from Eugenics to Epigenetics*.
http://goo.gl/7zUwP3

**************************** End of announcements **************************

DIRECTIONS FOR SUBSCRIBING
 Send an email message to:
 with the following in the body of the message:
       SUBSCRIBE ISHPSB-L Yourfirstname Yourlastname
 For example, if your name were Gregor Mendel:
       SUBSCRIBE ISHPSB-L Gregor Mendel

DIRECTIONS FOR UNSUBSCRIBING
 Send an email message to:
 with the following in the body of the message:
      SIGNOFF ISHPSB-L

Trevor Pearce
Listserv Moderator, International Society for History, Philosophy, and
Social Studies of Biology

http://www.ishpssb.org/

Listserv archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/ishpsb-l.html

Email: [log in to unmask]