Hey birders,

We’ve had two spectacular days at the Bethany Hawkwatch in Mankato with over 800 birds of 12 different species in the last two days.  While we did not have a Swainson’s today, we had one each of the previous days.  The best kettle today was 100 Broad-wings with a Turkey Vulture and a Red-tail mixed in for flavor.  Raptors were joined by hundreds of gulls (Franklin’s/Ring-billed) and good passerine movement: Olive-sided Flycatcher, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Red-breasted Nuthatch.

International Hawk Migration Week starts on Saturday and our kick-off celebration coincides with Bethany Lutheran College’s Fall Festival.  It’s the only day we have a food truck and live music at the Hawkwatch (know any other hawkwatch sites that do that?).  Last year we had over 1,000 birds though a positive correlation with the hot dog stand has not been statistically proven (we haven’t ruled out the drumline).  Visitors are welcome on the Bethany campus; flights normally start around 10am.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato

Chad Heins

Assistant Professor of Biology

Bethany Lutheran College

700 Luther Drive

Mankato, MN 56001

Office: 507.344.7327  | Toll Free: 800.944.3066

[log in to unmask]| www.blc.edu