Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 6, 2016
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, October 6, 2016 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We have been reminded this week that the warm weather is nearly over, and tonight they are even forecasting a few snowflakes. Migration is going strongly, with large numbers of northern flickers, eastern bluebirds, yellow-rumped warblers and other late migrant warblers flying through. Sparrow migration is in full force, and we are seeing more white-throated sparrows, white-crowned sparrows, and Harris's sparrows as the days go on.

In Kittson County on October 2, Shelley Steva and I saw RED-TAILED HAWK, a SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and a large flocks of COMMON GRACKLES and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS near Halma.

Here in Pennington County, on October 1, I had a family of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS visit our bird bath. While they were taking a vigorous bath, they were joined by a WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW. Other species seen in the yard that day included WOOD DUCK, BROWN CREEPER, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, many RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, PALM WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and PURPLE FINCH. Shelley Steva reported several WESTERN MEADOWLARKS migrating through northeastern Pennington County on October 5. All week I have been hearing RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER in the yard.

Sandy Aubol in western Polk County had a good representation of the sparrow migration this week including HARRIS'S SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, FOX SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO, SONG SPARROW, and CHIPPING SPARROW. Also seen were COOPER’S HAWK, MERLIN, NASHVILLE WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, PALM WARBLER, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

In Dorset, Hubbard County, Marshall Howe reported a RED-NECKED GREBE on September 22.

From Todd County, John Kroll observed 13 AMERICAN PIPITS in a field about two miles northeast of Long Prairie. Directions are to take CR 5 north out of Long Prairie to 250th St, turn right and go about 1.5 miles to a plowed field on the north side.

In Otter Tail County, Wayne Perala reported RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET on September 30. On October 4, he saw BALD EAGLE, MERLIN, NASHVILLE WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, EASTERN BLUEBIRD, DARK-EYED JUNCO and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at Maplewood State Park. Jody Doll reported an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER in Fergus Falls on October 4.

Grant County sightings by Charlene Nelson included GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, and DARK-EYED JUNCO on September 30, and BROWN CREEPER on October 1.

Thanks to all who reported sightings this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, October 13, 2016.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN