Hey birders,

We had a couple of highlights at the Bethany Hawkwatch today that are worth mentioning.  First, we had awesome looks at an adult Golden Eagle passing over the Bethany campus in Mankato.  This is the earliest we have ever recorded this species in the fall by nearly a month.  Jim Amundson and I also enjoyed a low altitude dark-phase Harlan’s Red-tail that came up out of the valley and stayed overhead while it gained altitude.  Its dirty white tail and white streaks on an otherwise dark breast made it quite obvious and it was our first of the fall as well.  We are approaching 7,000 birds for our fall count and season totals can be seen at hawkcount.org/bethany

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato

Chad Heins

Assistant Professor of Biology

Bethany Lutheran College

700 Luther Drive

Mankato, MN 56001

Office: 507.344.7327  | Toll Free: 800.944.3066

[log in to unmask]| www.blc.edu